Monday, August 8, 2011

Challenge+Buddy=success

I did it! I completed the 5K. It's great, I know. I finished, that's what everyone is telling me. Yes, it's awesome. However, for me it's a little more complicated than that. You see, for the past three years, I have been challenging myself to do this thing. I really want to run it. In fact, I want to run in a half-marathon. At least I still have time for that challenge, since my goal was to do it by the time I am forty. The point of my ramblings is that I am moving backwards instead of forward. This year, I was fortunate enough to tie my chip time with last year. At least I didn't get slower again, I guess. But the biggest issue here is how I felt afterwards. Last year, I did this 5K seven months after have surgery on my knee. That was my excuse for a lackluster performance. The truth is, I didn't prepare. This year, I let my excuse for not preparing be time and weather. And I'm paying for it. I'm sore all over. This is the first year finishing actually hurt. That's not cool. So while I motivated others to do it for the first time which totally rocks, I didn't do myself any service. Somethings gotta change!

With that, I realized a friend and I have similar goals. We both have kids, both have husbands and both have over 100 excess pounds that are slowing us down. And we have both decided we can't do it alone. So, we have challenged ourselves to stop making excuses and do something about it. We are going to work together to lose weight and get healthy. And we have a team of mama's behind us for support along with our husbands. We are not going to cut each other any slack. We have challenges, goals, consequences and rewards. We are going to share pictures of our journey along the way. And, if you are reading this, we need your help too! Here is how it is going to go:

1) We must complete our challenges everyday. (The first challenge is 100 push-ups a day, tracked by a phone app)
2) We must blog about it everyday.

So that means you are going to be hearing a lot more from us! Root us on, push us harder, motivate us, challenge us, love us, hate us, join us! Whatever it takes.

Please join me in welcoming my buddy Kama and follow her blog http://writeofweigh.blogspot.com/ Together, we will make weight loss history and prove that two busy moms, one who works outside of the home and one that works at home, both with a common goal, have what it takes to lose the weight, and that it's better when your not alone!

And it's on!

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome, Lori! I hope this new approach will work wonders for you! Remember, God can do miracles with just a little!

    ReplyDelete