Saturday, November 12, 2011

39 weeks

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of 39 weeks is the time it took to grow my babies. Both were born at or before 39 weeks. So much happens in that time, from conception to birth. Our bodies change, our hormones change, our lives completely change. So, it's not that hard to liken that experience to what I am currently going through......weight loss. It's hard, it's emotional, it's tiring, it's challenging at times, it's amazing at times and it's really a miracle if you can hit your goals!

One goal that I set for myself several years ago when I embarked on this endless challenge was participating in a half-marathon. I was supposed to do it two years ago, but a knee surgery (and lack of motivation following) killed that dream. But it's time I get (more) serious. Yesterday, on one of the coolest days of the year 11-11-11 (one of my favorite #'s), I registered to participate in a 1/2 marathon in Chicago. It is exactly 39 weeks from tomorrow. A lot has to happen in the next 9 months for this to be possible, not unlike childbearing. I have to change the way I eat, I have to change the way I exercise, I have to make a commitment to myself, and I have to be realistic in my changes. Unlike childbirth, my results will not have an impact on the life of another, but rather on my own life. If I do this, I will be accomplishing a long-term goal. I may not lose 100 lbs in the way, but I'll in a heck of a lot better shape than I am now. I will be healthier, more energetic, more active and able to show my kids what it is like to finish something big.

My five year old daughter Caryn will be with me, and is also working towards her own goal, so she will be training with me in the beginning. While this is mostly for myself, it is an important step for my whole family. It's a pretty big investment; race registration, hotel, airfare etc. It's going to take a lot of work and commitment from everyone. I will have to make time to train, I will have to improve my habits, and I will have to have the faith in myself that I know many of you, and most importantly GOD has in me.

Tomorrow, I will post my covenant with myself. I will print it, sign it, share it with my family (and my blog followers) and post it in plain sight. I will not be making drastic changes like I have tried to do before, but rather realistic attainable, necessary changes that will improve the lifestyle and health of our whole family.

I am really nervous! I have a lot of work to do. But this is a season of transition. Both in church, in my career and now in my personal life. And with a lot of prayers, faith, strength and determination, I will make it happen and surprise myself! I don't know how often I will make it on here to post about it, but I plan to update occasionally. It's going to be a great season!

No comments:

Post a Comment