Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Maintained this week

Well, I did pretty good last week, up until Thursday. Then I got busy, got lazy, and got careless. I sometimes wish I didn't have to watch what I eat, and didn't have to work so hard at being active. I wish I was one of those people who could just lace up my shoes and go for a jog. I wish I had unlimited amounts of free time to use as I choose. But, I don't. And I need to be at peace with that, and make good use of the time I do have, to maximize my results. I also need to remind myself that my choices effect my entire life. Yes, that chocolate cake is good. Yes, those chips and dip full fill a craving. But, by giving into those weaknesses, I am hindering my progress, and going backwards with my health. That means I am letting myself down, my family down and God down. Not cool. I don't have very high expectations of myself, and perhaps that is the problem. Maybe I need to hold myself to a higher standard. I need to take a step back and look at what my actions do, and how they effect things. Take that chocolate cake, and those potato chips. I ate them. They were yummy. I worked so hard durning Lent to give up those things. Sacrifices I made for Jesus, because of the sacrifice he made for me. But as soon as lent was over, I went back to my old ways. That kinda seems disgraceful. So, I guess what I need to do, is remember why it was so easy to give it up the first place, and why I did it, and continue the trend. Why fall back on old ways? Was I without for the weeks I made those sacrifices? Nope. But I did feel better, healthier, more energetic, and motivated, and closer to God. I know what I need to do, now I have to do it!

As a family, we decided to give up Dish TV. This is huge for us, because we are a tad bit addicted to television. We now will have time to go outside and play, play games, do activities, read, and be a family. We will still watch movies, and have some shows saved on the DVR for the kids, cause lets face it, there are times mommy needs free hands. But, for the most part, our evenings will not be spent in front of the TV with a big bowl of ice cream. Now we will go for walks, get lost in books, and go on adventures outside. I think this will be a healthy adjustment for all of us.

Alright, I think I've vented enough. I am going to try very hard to get back on track, and ulitmately stay there, from this point forward. My hair really needs cut, and I still need to lose 5 lbs before I get there. Not to mention all of the other goals I have. Like my 5K, my new jeans, a size 20 little black dress. But, I will do it. I will succeed. Because if I don't I will resort to doing something I really don't want to do. So failure is not an option. Besides, I want to rock Fabulous At Thirty.

1 comment:

  1. I've been wondering what to do now that Lent is over too. It seems silly to just decide to have unhealthy habits for the rest of the year! The weirdest thing that happened to me was that I started craving caffeine the Sunday before Easter (might have had to do with the yard sale the day before?). I've had one cup of caffeinated tea about 7 of the last 10 days. And I hadn't really drunk any caffeine for the last six years. Is it because I had cut all the chocolate out of my diet? Not sure. I'm not sure I like the trend, but we'll see. Good luck with the sticking with it! I've actually gotten kind of into carrots. I know what you mean about the couch and the tv and the ice cream though!

    ReplyDelete